Run a pop-up shoebox collection centre in your church … Get to know your local community in a fun, twofold mission activity the whole church can join in.
Opening your church’s doors to receive Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes during National Collection Week in November provides a natural opportunity to welcome and chat to members of your local community.
Encourage them by sharing about the impact of their shoebox gifts, offer to pray with them for the children receiving them, and invite them to more of your own church activities.
At the same time, church members can enjoy being part of God’s great commission of sending the Good News of Jesus to children in need around the world.
- Volunteers who can be available during National Collection Week 11-18 November. They’ll simply need to be on hand during reasonable opening hours and ready to welcome Operation Christmas Child supporters as they drop their shoeboxes off. One volunteer should take a lead to coordinate the team and be the main contact for Operation Christmas Child staff
- Volunteer driver or drivers able to deliver shoeboxes to a regional Processing Centre or collect shoeboxes from local groups (schools, workplaces)
- A small room, or space to store around 500 shoeboxes.
We’ll help with:
- Listing your church’s address and opening hours on our website
- Church communications resources and social media content, including campaign videos and photos
- Promotional information you can pass on to your local press
- Printed posters and leaflets, a banner and other resources
- A Church Collection Centre support contact person
- Ideas for extra optional activities such as hosting a Shoebox Packing Party or a special shoebox service.
Church Leader and Collection Centre Coordinator Dan shares his experience:
‘Being a Church Collection Centre is a twofold mission opportunity for us. On one hand we’re able to reach the children receiving the shoeboxes and make a difference in their lives, but on the other hand it’s giving us the opportunity to connect with our community and grow our links with schools.’
– Dan, Church Leader and Collection Centre Coordinator